Zone 1 Academy FAQS
GENERAL INFORMATION & REGISTRATION
- Why is the program called Zone 1?
US Soccer uses a Pyramid when looking at the different developmental stages for soccer players. Three key developmental age brackets (zones) are used - Players aged 6-11 are all part of the ZONE 1 section, older players fit into Zone 2 and Zone 3.
- After I register am I committed to the program for the whole year?
No you are committed to that specific soccer season only.
- What is the cost?
Click here for details
- Can we participate in the Fall and then drop off for the winter and rejoin again for the spring?
Yes, as long as we have openings, you can join for as many seasons as you like. The current participants always have the first option to re-sign
- What are the different soccer seasons?
Fall = August- October, Winter = December- February, Spring = March - May
- Are you ok if we play other sports while we are in Zone 1 Academy?
Absolutely, we are strong believers in multi-sport participation for this age group
- Do you have tryouts?
No, Zone 1 participants simply register online for our program
- Does my son or daughter need to be at a certain ability range to participate?
Zone 1 sessions are directed at youngsters who have the desire to eventually join high level soccer programs at the appropriate age.
- What's special about Zone 1?
Lots of things, but especially our innovative curriculum which is built upon every year. Also the "culture" and atmosphere we generate at all of the sessions will provide a fun/positive but sometimes intensely competitive learning environment
- What happens after Zone 1?
We will help all of our participants find a suitable club after completing our 5 year program
ZONE 1 VERSUS CLUB SOCCER
- Can my son/daughter stay on his/her club team and still participate in Zone 1 Academy?
Yes, some Zone 1 participants will stay with their club while others will be Zone 1 exclusive. It is totally your choice
- Why should we do Zone 1 instead of Club soccer?
In some cases we believe club soccer can be detrimental to the development of techniques needed to be successful at the adolescent age groups. We have found that too often the focus is on winning rather than developing technically advanced players. Also, studies show 70% of all players drop out of organized sports by the time they reach 13 – something is glaringly wrong with the current system. Zone 1 provides a solution
- Who will run the sessions?
One of the other challenges of club soccer is that the "better" coaches are usually coaching the more prestigious U14-U18 age groups. All of our staff members will be on hand to work with our participants. Click here to view our top class coaching staff and program directors
- Is Zone 1 a non-competitive option?
No! Everything we do will have a competitive element to it – we believe competition is good but not at the expense of development. Competition needs to be nourished to enhance player development and not hinder it.
- You offer 4 practices per week, do we have to attend all of them?
No you can attend as many as you like
- Where will the practices be located?
At the fantastic new Wyandotte Youth Soccer Complex, 1500 N 90th St, Kansas City, KS 66112
- Which age groups will practice together?
Practice 1 will be for 6 & 7 year olds, Practice 2 will be for 8 & 9 year olds and Practice 3 will be for 10 & 11 year olds
- Will the younger players hinder the development of my son/daughter?
Our curriculum is based on individual progressions and sequences and the educational advisors on our staff have taken physical and mental maturation into account when designing the activities
- Can parents attend practices?
Yes but we ask you not to coach from the sideline
- What should my son/daughter wear for the practices?
A Zone 1 Academy uniform is included in the registration process
- Why do you play your games with no referees?
We believe that the players can self-regulate very efficiently and we are confident in their sense of justice! We tell them that if they feel they have been on the raw end of a decision they should respond by scoring a goal!
- Ok so why introduce referees for the 10 and 11 year olds?
We bring referees in for this age group to help our older players learn to respect the officials. "Respect" will be one of the key points of emphasis within our program
- What does "the street soccer era" mean?
Street soccer is similar to "sandlot baseball". We believe that over-coaching can stifle development and we want our players to be creative and have the freedom to learn from mistakes and not worry about a coach highlighting those mistakes. We want our players to be clever on the ball while having a blast trying new things
- What does "scrambled team approach" mean?
Players are not restricted to the same team on a weekly basis. They will play with and against different players each week.
- Can we purchase extra socks?
Yes, you can purchase any item you need here
- Can parents purchase Zone 1 gear?
Yes, Our spirit wear is available here
- Why do you have Parent Workshops?
We believe parents are an important part of the development process and need to work as a team with our coaching staff. The workshops will make sure we are all on the same page
- Are these workshops compulsory?
No, we would like one parent to be there but we understand conflicts arise
TECHNE FUTBOL APP
- What is the Techne Futbol App?
This is a fun training app designed by US national team, FCKC player and Zone 1 coach/contributor Yael Averbuch. The app takes players through weekly training challenges which allows the players to work on their ball mastery at their own time – it's almost like a soccer homework app.
- Does this cost extra?
No. The normal cost of a year subscription to the Techne App is $276 but all Zone 1 participants will receive it for FREE